2017 SCI Team Championships
TYPE OF TOURNAMENT: Format is 4-player fixed-roster teams (minimum of 3 players to form a team). The tournament will be conducted using the “Swiss System” (no elimination –score determines final place). All teams will play all day. Scores do not carry over to the finals. The top scoring teams will advance to the State Finals on March 25. 2017 at Morton High School in Hammond.
Regional tournaments will be held at 5 locations around Indiana:
- Goshen – Goshen High School – Feb. 25, 2017
- Hammond – Morton High School – Feb. 25, 2017
- Indianapolis – New Augusta North Public Academy – Mar. 4, 2017
- Mt. Vernon – Mt. Vernon Junior High School – Feb. 18, 2017
- Terre Haute – Honey Creek Middle School – Mar. 4, 2017
ELIGIBILITY: Any accredited school in Indiana may send any number of four (4) member teams to compete in the Regional tournaments. (Up to two (2) alternates per team are allowed.) Team members must all be full-time students at the same school building. Home schools and virtual schools are not eligible. A parent or school sponsor must accompany the group to the competition.
USCF Membership: The Regional tournaments are NOT rated by the U.S. Chess Federation. However, the State Finals are USCF rated. If your team(s) qualify for the State Finals, all players on the State Finals team(s) must join USCF. Instructions will be included in your State Finals qualifier letter.
1. All divisions in the Regionals and Finals will be four member teams. (Up to 2 alternates are allowed per team. Minimum of 3 players required to form a team.)
2. A student may play only for the school that he/she attends full-time and may play in only one division. You may choose your Regional; however, all teams from a school must attend the same regional.
3. The tournament will be divided into four divisions: 12th Grade & Under, 8th Grade & Under, 6th Grade & Under, and 3rd Grade & Under. (12th Grade & Under do not play in the Regional tournaments.) A separate registration form for 12th Grade & Under will be available at a later date.
4. 8th Grade & Under Rule: Approximately 32 teams from the Regional rounds of competition will qualify to play in the SCI Team State Championships on Saturday, March 25, 2017 at Morton High School in Hammond.
5. 6th Grade & Under Rule: Approximately 32 teams from the Regional rounds of competition will qualify to play in the SCI Team State Championships on Saturday, March 25, 2017 at Morton High School in Hammond.
6. 3rd Grade & Under Rule: All teams that compete in the Regionals will be invited to the SCI Team State Championships on Saturday, March 25, 2017 at Morton High School in Hammond.
WHEN AND WHERE: Regional sites are located throughout Indiana. All Regionals will begin with a players’ meeting at 8:45 a.m. (local time) and play should be completed between 3:00-5:00 p.m., depending on the size of the regional. (Hammond and Mt. Vernon are on Central Time. All others are Eastern Time.)
AWARDS: At the Regional level, trophies will be awarded to the top 3 schools in 8th & Under, 6th & Under, and 3rd & Under. Each participant in the Regionals will receive a ribbon.
EQUIPMENT: The Regional hosts will provide sets, but not chess clocks. However, it is not a requirement for you to bring your own equipment to compete in the Regionals.
FOOD: Food is available for purchase at most of the Regional sites. In most cases, food will be served by local groups, or you may wish to eat in nearby restaurants.
CONFIRMATION OF ENTRY: Entries will be posted at scichess.org as they are received.
*** NEW THIS YEAR: A regional fact sheet with specific information about your regional will be available for download. The team roster form will also be available for download.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Scott Reisinger by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 765-617-3845.
UNANTICIPATED REGIONAL CLOSING: If a Regional has to be closed or delayed due to bad weather or any other reason, updates will be posted at scichess.org.
Click here for the: